We’re writing our ebook with step-by-step instructios on how to make a school website or classroom blog and quickly remembering why we like self-hosted WordPress blogs so much.
- It’s free.
- There’s a lot of support. (Edublogs is an entire community of educators blogging on their edu-blogs.)
- It’s simple. You don’t need to be a technical whiz-kid.
For many classroom teachers, the free blogs will meet all of their needs. Most people never go beyond this stage. (Heck, most teachers never get online!)
But, for some of us, it’s not enough. We want more. We see what other people are doing with their blogs and we want the unlimited freedom that comes with a self-hosted WordPress blog.
You see, while WordPress.com and Edublogs.org offer great products, you’re limited to a watered-down version of the WordPress software. You’re not getting all the bells and whistles because you can’t install any new themes or plugins.
When is the right time to transfer your classroom blog from a free WordPress account to a self-hosted WordPress account? It’s when your imagination exceeds the options provided by the free blog account.
- Infinetely Expandable through Plugins and Themes
- Translate your School Website or Class Blog into Different Languages
- Better Page Navigation
- Easier to Move Pages Around (Change the Page Order)