Lots of teachers are starting to wonder how to create an online presence for their courses. Teachers want to be able to create websites for students and parents to access at home.
There are several options for teachers to create class websites:
- Your school board may offer website template pages that you can modify and tweak.
- WordPress is a great content management system (CMS) that lets you create class sites and student blogs where teachers and students can post content and visitors can reply in the form of questions or comments. You can use a service like WordPress.com, Edublogs.org, or Educircles.org to get your class website up and running (or, if you’re tech savvy, you can install the free WordPress software on your own web host.)
- Blogger is a blog publishing service operated by Google (and will apparently be renamed as Google blogs.)
- Wikispaces is a service that lets teachers create educational wikis for their students. (Think Wikipedia for the classroom.) They still provide free upgrades to any wiki that is used exclusively for educational purposes. The sign up link can be found here.
And then, there’s Google sites.
Google sites is part of Google apps â€“ a free collection of cloud-based productivity software. (Think Google’s version of Microsoft office in the cloud.)
- Here areÂ 5 reasons why you should consider using Google sites for your class website:
- Â 5. It’s by Google. (I guess this could be a good thing or bad thing, depending on how you feel about Google.) Google is huge.
- 4. It’s so easy to embed Google docs, Google presentations, Picassa web slideshows, YouTube videos, and other content onto your class Google site.
- 3. Google Sites is part of Google Apps for Education, and Google Apps for Education is free
- 2. If you have multiple teachers or students editing a class website, then you’ll be happy to know that Google sites does an excellent job of tracking recent site activity
- 1. Google sites has a variety of professional looking website templates that you can use for your class website.